Visas & Immigration

You must be accepted to the College of Charleston in order to be issued an I-20. An I-20 is the immigration document required for students who need an F-1 student visa to study in the United States.

Once all required documents have been received, an I-20 will be sent to you from the Center for International Education. Allow 3-5 weeks for the creation and mailing of your I-20. After receiving your I-20, you will be able to apply for an F-1 student visa.

Documents Required to receive an I-20:

  • Certificate of Finance Form: Your sponsor must complete a Certificate of Finance Form. If you have more than one sponsor, each sponsor should fill out a separate form. If you sponsor yourself you are required to submit a Certificate of Finance Form.
  • Copy of the identification page of your passport. Check to make sure your passport is updated and not expired. Expired passports will not be accepted.
  • A bank statement must be submitted for each person (including yourself) whose funds will support your educational expenses.
  • Bank statements must be in English. English translations must be signed and sealed by the appropriate bank or government official.
  • Each bank statement submitted must include the following:
    • Sponsor’s name (translated name must be printed on the original document);
    • Date (documents must be dated no more than 12 months prior to the date classes begin for the desired term of enrollment);
    • Total amount of available funds and the type of currency.

SEVIS Transfer

If you are currently attending a US school on an F-1 visa, your SEVIS (immigration) record will need to be transferred from your current institution to the College of Charleston so that we can issue you a new I-20. Submit the following additional items:

If you are currently in the U.S. on a visa other than F-1 and wish to change your immigration status while in the U.S. without traveling back to your home country, also submit:

  • Copy of your current visa.
  • Copy of the front and back of your I-94 card (or print out from the I-94 website)

Visit the Center for International Education for additional information on student visas and immigration regulations.