Parts of the Application
In order for the admissions committee to issue a decision, an applicant's file must be complete. All application materials must be either delivered or postmarked by the appropriate deadline. Remember, we cannot review an application or make a decision until the Office of Admissions has received all parts of the application. Once you’ve applied, you will be able to check the status of your application and required materials online. Decisions are generally made within three to four weeks of completing an application file.
THE FOLLOWING MATERIALS ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE YOUR FILE:
- Online application. We do not require an essay. However, you’ll have the option to submit a personal statement in which you can tell the admissions committee anything you think the College should know about you. (Readmit students are required to submit a personal statement). If you can’t are unable to apply online, please contact us.
- $50 application fee. You will pay this fee when you submit the application.
- Official college/university transcripts from each school you’ve attended. To request your transcripts, submit the transcript request form. If you are applying for the spring semester, we encourage you to submit a transfer admission midterm grades report to expedite an admission decision.
Submit transcripts and midterm grade reports to:
College of Charleston
Office of Admissions
66 George Street
Charleston, S.C. 29424-0001
Fax: 843.953.6322 I Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
REQUIRED FOR TRANSFER STUDENTS WITH FEWER THAN 24 CREDIT HOURS
- High school transcripts from each high school attended.
- Standardized test scores. Either the SAT (math and critical reading sections only) or ACT is required. We do not require the SAT subject tests, and do not consider the SAT writing section in an admission decision. Be sure to send us all scores – if you took a test more than once, we’ll consider the highest score from each section in all exams. Official scores should be sent directly from the testing service.
Note: College of Charleston SAT code: 5113; ACT code: 3846.
REQUIRED FOR READMIT STUDENTS
- Personal statement. Use the personal statement in the online application to let us know about your activities since you left the College of Charleston, and why you want to return.
OPTIONAL APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Letters of recommendation are not required. If you want to submit letters of recommendation, send no more than two. Use “Recommendation Letter” in the subject line. Be sure to include your full name, birth date, and College of Charleston ID number, if you know it.
- Résumés, activity sheets, any other supplemental information. You may email anything else you want us to consider. Be sure to include your full name, birth date, and College of Charleston ID number, if you know it.
- Arts submissions and auditions. We do not require arts submissions or auditions for admission, and there is no separate application for the School of the Arts. However, there are some departmental scholarships available requiring auditions or portfolio reviews. Follow the links below to review scholarship specific details:
HONORS COLLEGE APPLICATION
The Honors College requires a separate application. When you submit your transfer admission application, indicate you want to apply to the Honors College. You will receive a link to the online Honors College application. Honors College applicants are required to submit a résumé and essay as well as two letters of recommendation.
Residency for tuition purposes is determined when you submit your application. If you indicate you are a South Carolina resident on your application but we cannot make that determination based on the information you submit, you will be advised to work with the Office of Legal Residency.