Non-degree Students

If you wish to enroll in undergraduate courses, but do not intend to seek a degree at this time, you may apply as a non-degree student. Please refer to our non-degree information sheet as a starting point.

A graduate application is required to enroll in graduate level courses.  Graduate courses typically are numbered at the 500 level and above.

We encourage all prospective students to seek advising for assistance in creating their academic plan. The process will facilitate your admission and registration.

Non-degree eligibility

Below you'll find descriptions of different types of students eligible to apply as a non-degree student and any additional requirements.  

Adult Students

If you are age 21 or over and are interested in taking one or more courses for job advancement or personal satisfaction, or you wish to establish an academic record before applying for degree status, you may apply as a non-degree student.

  • A high school diploma or GED is required. Students with a GED will take diagnostic placement tests in English and Mathematics to determine appropriate academic courses.
  • Unofficial transcripts of previous college work are usually required and recommended for advising purposes and to demonstrate completion of course pre-requisites.
  • Every student must provide proof of U.S. citizenship before being allowed to enroll. To prove U.S. citizenship, applicants must complete the Verification of Lawful Presence form and deliver the original, with a photocopy of your proof document, in person or by mail, to the Registrar’s Office.

Visiting students

If you are a student from another institution who wants to take a few courses but plan to graduate from your “home” institution you should apply as a non-degree student. Please see our visiting students webpage for more information.

Graduate courses
If you are interested in enrolling in graduate-level courses, please consult the Graduate School.

Readmit non-degree students

If you are a former non-degree student who has been away from the College for one Fall or Spring semester or more, you must complete the non-degree application for readmission. If you left the College with less than a 2.0 GPA, you may enroll pending admissions acceptance by the Center for Academic Performance and Persistence. Students in this status must formally apply by the annual readmit student deadlines of May 1 for Fall and November 1 for Spring.

High school students
If you are a high school student of superior ability who wishes to enroll in college-level courses prior to high school graduation; you may apply as a dual enrollment student. See our dual enrolled high school student page for more information.

College graduates
College graduates (bachelor's degree or higher) who are not seeking another degree may take courses as non-degree students. Those seeking teacher certification must first meet with the School of Education to gain approval.

60+ Students
Residents of South Carolina, age 60+ may take courses tuition-free on a space-available basis. For detailed instructions on how to enroll as a 60+ student, visit our 60+ Tuition Exemption Program page.


  • Non-degree students are not eligible for federal financial assistance. 


  • Complete the non-degree application.
  • Provide proof of U.S. citizenship
  • Non-degree students may need to submit transcripts (unofficial or official) to enroll in some courses with pre-requisites.
  • Students in non-degree status may formally transfer into a College of Charleston degree admission program after completion of 15 - 30 hours of coursework with a minimum 2.6 (in-state resident) / 3.0 (out-of-state resident) GPA. At that time, official transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended must be submitted if they are not currently on file.
  • Please read the student eligibility and additional requirements below.


Non-degree students may continue to register for courses from one term to the next unless a fall or spring term is missed. In that event, a student must reapply for admission. Failure to enroll during the summer does not interrupt the status of a non-degree student. Continuously enrolled students may use MyCharleston to register for courses according to hours earned at the College of Charleston. 


Campus housing is usually available to non-degree students during the summer terms but not during the fall and spring semesters. An exception is made for national and international exchange students housed on campus during regular terms.
If you have further questions about applying as a non-degree student, contact:

843.953.5620 or 843.953.5670
fax: 843.953.7461 or 843.953.6322